[vtkusers] Problem Building VTKJava project

Mark Henning mdh at gldnrtvr.com
Thu Sep 18 16:57:31 EDT 2008

Good Day,

I have failed to produce a Java wrapper for VTK at least half-a dozen times.
I copied the code from the 5.0.4 toolkit CD.  I am using CMake 2.4
patch 3 from the CD.

I have tried VS 2005, VS 2003, JDK 1.5.0_16, 1.6.0_7, j2rel1.4.2_11
in multiple combinations.

Each time I wipe out my binary directory (C:\VTKBin); run CMake 2.4
and set BUILD_SHARED_LIBS on,
and VTK_WRAP_JAVA on.  I show advanced values and make all the paths
for the Java version I am trying to use consistent, then configure
and ok;  I load the visual studio version I indicated when I ran
CMake, then use the Build->Build menu item.

Each time I do this, for each permutation I get the following 3 errors:

VTKJavaJar error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from
"Generating ../../java/vtk/vtkCanvas.class"
VTKBuildAll error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from
"Generating ../../java/vtk/vtkBuildAllDriver.class"
VTKJava error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Generating
../../java/vtk/vtkCanvas.class"

If I look at the output, the first error is in the VTKJava project
and spits out dozens of errors like those below:

Generating ../../java/vtk/vtkCanvas.class
C:/VTKBin/java/vtk/vtkCanvas.java:9: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor
location: class vtk.vtkCanvas
   protected vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor iren = new
vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor();
             ^
C:\VTKBin\java\vtk\..\vtk\vtk3DWidget.java:7: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class vtkInteractorObserver
location: class vtk.vtk3DWidget
public class vtk3DWidget extends vtkInteractorObserver
                                  ^
C:/VTKBin/java/vtk/vtkCanvas.java:66: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor
location: class vtk.vtkCanvas
   public vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor getIren() {

Does anyone have any advice?  This is really becoming frustrating.