[vtkusers] vtkFormsWindowControl problem in Visual Studio .NET

William E. Lucarell welucarell at equityeng.com
Wed Sep 17 10:40:13 EDT 2008

I have been using VTK in Java, and recently we switched to using Visual C#.NET 2005.

I successfully added a vtkFormsWindowControl to my Windows application.  I have all of the DotNet libraries and the vtkFormsWindow library.  However, when I drag a vtkFormsWindowControl onto the application, I get this error embedded on the control instead of getting the red cone that I should get:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at vtk.vtkFormsWindowControl.OnResize(EventArgs ea) in c:\dev\out\t2\control\vtkformswindow\vtkformswindowcontrol.cpp:line 297
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnSizeChanged(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 clientWidth, Int32 clientHeight)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmWindowPosChanged(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at vtk.vtkFormsWindowControl.WndProc(Message& m) in c:\dev\out\t2\control\vtkformswindow\vtkformswindowcontrol.cpp:line 620
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Design.ControlDesigner.DesignerWindowTarget.DefWndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Design.ControlDesigner.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Design.ControlDesigner.DesignerWindowTarget.OnMessage(Message& m)

What is causing this error? I'm new to Visual C# .NET.

Bill Lucarell