[vtkusers] vtkCubeAxesActor2D

Joshua Kollat juk124 at psu.edu
Wed Sep 10 14:33:02 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am using vtkCubeAxesActor2D to annotate three-dimensional plots. I am
adding configuration options to my software to allow the user to change
settings for each the x, y, and z, axes such as displaying the title,
label, and tick marks, and changing the label formats, number of labels,
and font factors on each axis.  Incidentally, I have changed the class
to independently configure the number of labels for each the x, y, and z
axes as well as the font factors, and label formats.  The
vtkCubeAxesActor2D included with VTK does not allow these properties to
be configured independently, or at least I have not been able to
accomplish this.

I recently discovered that the CubeAxesActor2D seems to change what it
considers the x, y, and z axis depending on the orientation of the cube
on the screen.  In other words, if I click to turn off the x title at
one point, and if the user later interacts with the plot by rotating it
and again tries to turn off the x label, the label that turns off is
potentially different than the label that turned off before the rotation
occurred, and may or may not be associated with what I am considering
the x axis according to the data plotted.  This also occurs with the
other properties such as label formatting and the number of labels .

I suspect this is because of the 2D aspect of this actor.  However, I
would really like to keep using the 2D actor because you have access to
the text properties such as font type which you don't have with the 3D
actors. In addition, I can't seem to figure out how VTK is determining
what it is considering the x, y, and z axis depending on how the cube is
rotated.  Does anyone have any experience with this issue and if so,
have you found a way to overcome it.

Thanks,
Josh

--