[vtkusers] Packaging VTK 5.2 for Debian

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 15:37:31 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Tim Bond <timothy.bond at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to the list, having been pointed here by Gael Varoquaux
> from Enthought after asking my question there and this list being
> suggested as a better place to ask. I've tried looking through
> the list archives and not found an answer to my question.
>
> I'm part of a research group who are active users of VTK and are
> keen to start using the new features from VTK 5.2. We have a lot
> of systems and it's not very practical to build and install
> software individually on them, hence we're hoping to get hold of
> a Debian / Ubuntu package for 5.2. We had a go at building one
> based on the 5.0 package but are not particularly experienced at
> Debian packaging and came unstuck trying to get vtk-python to
> package up properly.
>
> My question - is anyone aware of ongoing work to get 5.2 building
> in a Debian package framework? If so, I'd be very grateful if you
> could point me in the right direction so we could either make use
> of existing work or combine efforts to get a package built.
>
> I've also been pointed at the Debian package maintainer for VTK
> (Maitland Bottoms) who I've contacted about this.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Tim,

  If you have cmake 2.6 > installed on one of your system you should
be able to generate .deb package of VTK using:

  $ make package (don't forget to set CPACK_DEB to ON)

  The deb package generated of cmake is not very smart (I am the one
to blame for that) but as long as your system are relatively close you
should be able to use the same .deb file from one station to the
other.

2cts
--
Mathieu