[vtkusers] Visual C++ eith vtk

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 20:13:52 EDT 2008

> I´am trying to build a graphic interface using windows forms application in
> Visual studio C++ with vtk. Anybody knows how to use vtk and visual studio
> C++ in common?

Yes, I have been doing this for the last 6 months. The first thing you
should concentrate on is learning how to use CMake and to generate
CMakeLists.txt files these files will be used to generate your project
files for your Visual Studio development environment. After a brief
introduction to CMake, I would then concentrate on reading the VTK
Textbook. http://www.kitware.com/products/vtkbook.html and also
consult the itk documentation which is downloadable. After this I
recommend you take a look at the VTK examples and to familiarize
yourself with the various frameworks that can be used to make
applications. Since VTK and ITK are platform independent you may want
to take a look at Qt instead of MFC or some other windows only
framework. I am a 12 year windows programmer who has written over 500K
lines of MFC code and after looking at Qt for a couple of days I was
amazed how well written it was and how much better it is than MFC. It
seems that a huge chunk of the code I have written to extend MFC to a
usable platform is already included in Qt. That would have saved me a
lot of effort. And finally if you do stick with MFC there are examples
for that too...

John