[vtkusers] No GPU-acceleration with VTKEdge?

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Thu Oct 30 10:39:35 EDT 2008

Hello Paul,

1. Which OS do you use (I guess it is Linux by the driver numbering
but I'd like to know which one Ubuntu, debian, ... . Did you install
the driver yourself from nVidia website or was it a package provided
by the distribution?)

2. Can you send me the result of:
$ ctest -R TestFBO -V &> fbo.txt

Send it to me directly please and not through the list because fbo.txt
will be a very big file.

(TestFBO is a VTK C++ test, you don't need to bother building VTK with
wrappers).

3. Also vtkusers is not the proper place to ask this question. For
VTKEdge questions, there is a dedicated mailing list
http://www.vtkedge.org/vtkedge/help/mailing.html

Regards.

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 5:51 AM, Paul Melis <paul at science.uva.nl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get VTKEdge to work, specifically the GPU-assisted volume
> rendering. I'm using an updated VTK CVS checkout as well as up-to-date SVN
> checkout of VTKEdge (both latest revision available yesterday). The machine
> I test on has a Quadro FX4000, which has an NV40GL chipset, which should be
> enough to satisfy the Geforce6 or higher requirement for the volume mapper.
> The driver used is 169.07 and the card has 256Mb memory.
>
> The problem is that the VTKEdgeGPURenderDemo does not seem to use
> GPU-rendering. When run with the vase_4comp.vtk dataset I can see the
> CPU-load of both CPUs in the box go up to 100% and the normal coarse
> rendering is used during interaction, followed by a high-quality rendering
> after a few seconds when done with interaction. I.e. I don't see any
> difference with the normal software VTK ray caster.
>
> The VTKEdgeGPUArrayCalculatorDemo demo prints error messages when run:
>
> ERROR: In /home/paul/c/VTK-cvs/Rendering/vtkFrameBufferObject.cxx, line 160
> vtkFrameBufferObject (0xa1e6288): Frame buffer object was not initialized
> correctly.
>
> framebuffer is unsupported
> Current framebuffer is bind to framebuffer object 1
> color attachement 0:
> this attachment is a texture with name: 1
> its mipmap level is: 0
> this is not a cube map texture.
> this is not 3D texture.
> color attachement 1:
> this attachment is empty
> color attachement 2:
> this attachment is empty
> color attachement 3:
> this attachment is empty
> color attachement 4:
> this attachment is empty
> color attachement 5:
> this attachment is empty
> color attachement 6:
> this attachment is empty
> color attachement 7:
> this attachment is empty
> depth attachement :
> this attachment is empty
> stencil attachement :
> this attachment is empty
> ERROR: In /home/paul/c/VTK-cvs/Rendering/vtkFrameBufferObject.cxx, line 160
> vtkFrameBufferObject (0xa1e6288): Frame buffer object was not initialized
> correctly.
>
> I could not find a list of needed OpenGL extensions for VTKEdge, but glxinfo
> reports that GL_EXT_framebuffer_object is supported.
>
> Any clues?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive