[vtkusers] flatten a multiblock dataset

Burlen Loring burlen.loring at kitware.com
Tue Oct 28 10:51:58 EDT 2008

As far as I know there is no silver bullet.

You could make one large image data (this is your flat dataset) with
extents large enough to enclose all leaves of your source multi block
then walk the source multiblock's tree copying data from each leaf into
the correct region of the flat dataset. Because you have overlapping
regions you'll have to make the right choices about which regions of
which blocks are copied. I don't know if this is the best way, just an idea.

vtkHierarchicalBoxDataSet could be used to visualize overlapping image
data without copying it around. It can blank out regions that are covered.