[vtkusers] Algorithm base class question

Philippe P. Pebay pppebay at sandia.gov
Mon Oct 27 11:59:25 EDT 2008

Amy Squillacote wrote:
> Benjamin Schindler wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Thanks for the very quick response. The problem I have behind is, that
>> upon calling GetOutput on the Algorithm, I get a:
>>
>> vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline (0x910fbb0): Algorithm
>> vtkSPHSliceFilter(0x91e0650) returned failure for request:
>> vtkInformation (0x914b438)
>>   Debug: Off
>>   Modified Time: 1918
>>   Reference Count: 1
>>   Registered Events: (none)
>>   Request: REQUEST_DATA_OBJECT
>>   ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
>>   FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
>>   FROM_OUTPUT_PORT: 0
>>
>> I guessed, that since vtkPointSetAlgorithm (according to the docs) takes
>> same input as output. I assumed this is the case even if you override
>> FillInputPortInformation. So switching over to vtkPointSetAlgorithm did
>>

> No, the whole point of overriding FillInputPortInformation is to change
> the type of input an algorithm expects.

For an other example of that, using vtkTable (as opposed to vtkPointSetAlgorithm) for inputs as well as outputs, you may
look at vtkStatisticsAlgorithms in VTK/Infovis. It will also show you how to distinguish between mandatory and optional
ports while overriding FillInputPortInformation.

P.

>> not solve my problems. I attached the source of the filter, but I'm not
>> sure it helps, because I put a breakpoint on every function in the
>> source file and never hit any before getting the error
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Benjamin
>>
>> On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 10:28 -0500, Amy Squillacote wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Benjamin,
>>>
>>> You could create a vtkPointSetAlgorithm and override its
>>> FillInputPortInformation method so that it takes a vtkMultiBlockDataSet
>>> rather than a vtkPointSetAlgorithm. Take a look at how this method is
>>> overridden in VTK/Graphics/vtkThreshold.cxx.
>>>
>>> - Amy

> --
> Amy Squillacote                    Phone: (256) 726-4839
> Computer Scientist                 Fax: (256) 726-4806
> CFD Research Corporation           Web: http://www.cfdrc.com
> 215 Wynn Drive, Suite 501
> Huntsville, AL  35805

Philippe Pebay