[vtkusers] VTK on Tcl 8.6 and with re-locatable TCL files, and more

Adam Williamson awilliamson at mandriva.com
Wed Oct 22 17:06:38 EDT 2008

> On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 17:29 +0000, Denis Barbier wrote:
> > On 2008/10/22 David Cole whole:
> > > We cannot make that exact change because it does not even work on Windows.
> > >
> > > There are not any ".dll.5.2" files on Windows, there are just ".dll" files.
> > [...]
> >
> > Too bad, thanks for clarifying.
>
> Right, I suspected that when I wrote it, hence my clarification that I
> hadn't tested it at all on Windows.
>
> It could be conditionalized, but I guess that might be considered to add
> too much complexity for comparatively little benefit (to upstream in any
> case).

Addendum - I believe you could also do it as a fallback, using catch
(try loading the versioned lib, catch it if it fails, and load the
unversioned lib in that case).

Or, you could convince Microsoft to implement a sane shared library
versioning convention. That sounds like the best fix. Good luck with
it. ;)
--
adamw