[vtkusers] Error while compiling vtk-5.3.x, tcltk-8.5.4 and Qt-4.5.x with cocoa 64-bit support

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Oct 22 10:10:47 EDT 2008

On 10/22/08 2:32 AM, Elvis Dowson said:

>The problem appears to be because TclTk-8.5.4 is missing some files
>required for x86_64 architecture.
>
>How can I fix this? I am using the ActiveTcl-8.5.4 pre-compiled binary.

Sounds like this pre-compiled binary is 32bit only.  You can check with
the 'lipo' command (see its man page).

>Some warnings ...
>
>[ 13%] Building C object Utilities/vtktiff/CMakeFiles/vtktiff.dir/
>tif_unix.o
>/Users/elvis/Tool/vtk-5.x/src/VTK/Utilities/vtktiff/tif_unix.c: In
>function '_tiffReadProc':
>/Users/elvis/Tool/vtk-5.x/src/VTK/Utilities/vtktiff/tif_unix.c:58:
>warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size

These warnings are well known (to me anyway).  They are in the libtiff
code itself, someone should file a bug with them.  You don't see the
warnings on any VTK dashboard because warnings are suppressed for 3rd
party code.

Maybe try the java wrappings first?  Java is 32/64 on Mac OS X.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com