[vtkusers] still a bug in vtkImageStencil class in v5.2.0

Michael Knopke Michael.Knopke at gmx.de
Thu Oct 16 07:52:59 EDT 2008

Hello,

I reported this some time ago, but wasn't sure about the consistency of my
vtkBuild. Now after upgrading to 5.2.0 I'm convinced that the improved
vtkImageStencil class (or one of the prerequesits) are faulty.
My tests where done in two different environments:
      -     Borland6 compiled vtk5.2.0

-          Visual studio compiled vtk5.2.0 both static

The test pipeline is simple. VtkImageData loaded as volume. Generating a
tube that intersects the volume similar to example: ImageTracerWidget (I
visualized the tube, it nicely intersects the volume completely with the
ending protruding the volume).
Now converting the polyDataToImageStencil (with setting OutputSpacing,
OutputExtent and OutputOrigin as in the sample).

Results: depending on the rotation of the tube it crashes in _vector.h at
function: push_back (from stl). Sometimes especially when the tube is axial
aligned it works, sometimes it produces wrong results.
Using vtk 5.1 (old cvs build) the same approach (leaving out the spacing,
extent and orgin settings as those functions did not exist) it never crashes
and never produces wrong results.
I can send a sample application that reproduces the problem.

As I'd really like to port my application to vtk 5.2.0 I tried to exchange
the following files but without success: vtkPolyDataToImageStencil,
vtkImageStencil, vtkImageStencilData, vtkImageStencilSource with the ones
from my working cvs build.
It seems the stencil mechanism doesn't fit in the (modified?) pipeline
algorithm of vtk5.2.0. Are there other files I could try to replace?

Thanks and regards,
Michael