[vtkusers] Cocoa, Python, VTK and wx embedded window problems

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 06:04:56 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:43 AM, John Donker <j.h.donker at home.nl> wrote:
> The problem is quite annoying and it would be nice if there was fix for it.
> Since we are aiming at a cross platform application. (The whole reason we
> chose VTK+WX+python)

Suggestions:
1. Switch to Carbon (as it seems to be the default for wx people)
2. Write your own C extension that cast the Handle from a Cocoa window
and call it from python layer (untrivial), or simply hack your way in
wxPython source to modify the culprit function + recompile (you'll not
be able to distribute your python app only, you'll have to ship your
custom wx libs, at least on Mac).
3. Get the wxVTK src from http://wxvtk.sf.net and wrap it to python
(non-trivial either IMHO, because of multiple inheritance)

Use Qt :)

--
Mathieu