[vtkusers] Proving a surface mesh of closeness

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Sat Oct 11 17:35:31 EDT 2008

I do see now what can go wrong. For those playing along at home
basically do the following:

Take an simple closed triangle mesh (like a cube for instance that has
been meshed with triangles only).

Pop out a triangle. (Now you have a hole and the formula does NOT hold).
Take any other triangle, duplicate it.
Now you still have a hole but the T=2V-4 will be true.

    I would have to say I did not think about that scenario which I
guess could happen if a mesh program is written and there is a bug in
it where duplicate triangles are added then that test would in fact
give you a false positive. I guess the "Feature Edge" filter would be
a better way to go. Also applying a "Duplicate Triangle filter" is
also a solution but probably not the most efficient solution in terms
of computational terms.

So "You learn something new every day" applies here. Thanks to Marie-
Gabrielle for sticking with me on this one.

Respectfully
Mike Jackson