[vtkusers] Proving a surface mesh of closeness

Marie-Gabrielle Vallet mgv.research at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 15:09:58 EDT 2008

Mike,

What can be proven is :
for a triangular mesh that is closed, the formula F=2V-4 holds.
But it doesn't mean :
if a triangular mesh has F faces and V vertices with F=2V-4, then the mesh
is closed.
A counter-example from the wikipedia page you pointed is the great
icosahedron. V=12, F=20, so F=2V-4, but this is not a closed surface.

Marie-Gabrielle