[vtkusers] How to generate a surface normal glyph for a triangle cell

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at mac.com
Thu Oct 9 10:00:42 EDT 2008

Hi,
         I really need some help with this problem! :-)  Guys, I've
tried many things, first with a plane source and then with a
unstructured grid, converted it to a poly data and used
vtkPolyDataNormals and set ComputeCellNormalsOn. It still doesn't give
the desired results.

vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter triangleCellDataSetSurfaceFilter
   triangleCellDataSetSurfaceFilter SetInput aTriangleGrid

vtkPolyDataNormals triangleCellNormals
   triangleCellNormals SetInputConnection
[triangleCellDataSetSurfaceFilter GetOutputPort]
   triangleCellNormals ComputePointNormalsOff
   triangleCellNormals ComputeCellNormalsOn
   triangleCellNormals ConsistencyOn
   triangleCellNormals AutoOrientNormalsOn

vtkPolyDataNormal::ComputeCellNormalsOn() doesn't seem to be working.
There should only be 1 single cell normal, right? I created this
example to explicitly use a single triangle cell, to test this funtion.

I've been at this problem for 2 days straight and tried all sorts of
suggestions, but I still haven't found an explanation for describing
the above results. Please help!! :-)

I've attached the full source code with this message.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson