[vtkusers] Proving a surface mesh of closeness

Marie-Gabrielle Vallet mgv.research at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 13:14:51 EDT 2008

I think there is a easier way of checking the surface closeness. I mean
using vtk facilities, instead of writing a (yet another) new algorithm.

VTK library has algorithms to extract a mesh boundary, i.e. the set of faces
(in 3D) or edges (in 2D) that are not shared by two cells. See
vtkFeatureEdges. The mesh is close if and only if this set is empty. If it
not, you can visualize the holes that must still be closed.

Pamela is trying to do the same thing today. Have a look at the thread "get
boundary triangles from a mesh" on this mailing list.

By the way, Charles, are you sure you are not re-inventing the wheel ?

Marie-Gabrielle