[vtkusers] How to read and display a JPEG image

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at mac.com
Fri Oct 3 12:02:16 EDT 2008

Hi,
         I took a look at vtkActor2D, etc. The documentation is not
that helpful in figuring out what is going wrong. I think I have used
all the required methods in vtkActor2D, if you look at the code below,
such as using a JPEG reader, using an image mapper to prepare the
interface with vtkActor2D. But it still doesn't work.

For the moment, I don't want to use vtkTextureActor2D, since I don't
want to mess around with scaling or altering the geometric properties
of the 2D map that I am importing. The underlying image is a 2D map,
so I want it to be preserved with it's original properties.

Could someone help me get this to work with vtkActor2D ?

Best regards,

Elvis

	// Declare object instance variables
	vtkJPEGReader* imageReader;
	vtkImageMapper* imageMapper;
	vtkActor2D* mapActor;

	// Initialize objects
	imageReader = NULL;
	imageMapper = NULL;
	mapActor = NULL;

	// Read 2D image file
	imageReader = vtkJPEGReader::New();
		imageReader->SetFileName("/Users/elvis/Project/C4I/Source/cxx/
vtkRendererMultiLayer/Dubai.A2003285.0655.250m.jpg");
		imageReader->Update();

	// Map 2D image file
	imageMapper = vtkImageMapper::New();
		imageMapper->SetInput(imageReader->GetOutput());

	// Actor in scene
	mapActor = vtkActor2D::New();
		mapActor->SetLayerNumber(0);
		mapActor->SetMapper(imageMapper);