[vtkusers] How to read and display a JPEG image

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at mac.com
Fri Oct 3 06:04:11 EDT 2008

Sorry,
              I made it work using vtkImageActor but it doesn't work
with vtkActor2D.

Here is the code that works using vtkImageActor (This displays the
image in 3D, but I want to use vtkActor2D but that doesnt seem to work)

Working code

	// Declare object instance variables
	vtkJPEGReader* imageReader;
	vtkImageMapper* imageMapper;
	vtkImageActor* mapActor;

	// Initialize objects
	imageReader = NULL;
	imageMapper = NULL;
	mapActor = NULL;

	// Read 2D image file
	imageReader = vtkJPEGReader::New();
		imageReader->SetFileName("/Users/elvis/Image/sample.jpg");
		imageReader->Update();

	// Map 2D image file
	imageMapper = vtkImageMapper::New();
		imageMapper->SetInput(imageReader->GetOutput());

	// Actor in scene
	mapActor = vtkImageActor::New();
		mapActor->SetInput(imageMapper->GetInput());

	// Add Actor to renderer
	ren->AddActor(mapActor);

Code that doesn't display the image

Here is the attempt at using vtkActor2D but it doesnt work. Could some
one please tell me how I can get this to work?

	// Declare object instance variables
	vtkJPEGReader* imageReader;
	vtkImageMapper* imageMapper;
	vtkActor2D* mapActor;

	// Initialize objects
	imageReader = NULL;
	imageMapper = NULL;
	mapActor = NULL;

	// Read 2D image file
	imageReader = vtkJPEGReader::New();
		imageReader->SetFileName("/Users/elvis/Image/sample.jpg");
		imageReader->Update();

	// Map 2D image file
	imageMapper = vtkImageMapper::New();
		imageMapper->SetInput(imageReader->GetOutput());

	// Actor in scene
	mapActor = vtkActor2D::New();
		mapActor->SetMapper(imageMapper);

	// Add Actor to renderer