[vtkusers] Newbie question!!!

Mark Wyszomierski markww at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 09:13:14 EST 2008

Hi,

When you say GUI, do you mean a GUI framework like GTK, wx, MFC, fltk, qt,
or you just want to display an image to draw in using whatever VTK provides?

If the former, then I would pick which toolkit you want to go with (depends
on what you're trying to accomplish) then you can figure out how to
incorporate VTK into it).

If the latter, then you can popup a viewport window and just start drawing
items on it right away (but you won't have buttons and all that GUI stuff
you're probably expecting).

Inside the VTK distribution, there should be a few example projects which
show you how to get a VTK context rendered inside a 'window', starting with
a simple cone. There should be an example of bringing that into an MFC
project (for windows) so you get the feel of a native windows application.

I also put this together some time ago which shows how to popup a VTK render
window then draw a tracer line on top of the dataset: You can  probably
extend that to start drawing simple lines and circles on it too:

http://devsample.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=27

Mark