[vtkusers] Cylindrical grid

Hills David A DAHILLS at qinetiq.com
Thu Nov 6 09:57:39 EST 2008

Thanks for the reply,

You're right; I was a bit vague in my description of my situation. I'll
try to be a more explicit:

I'm writing an analytical model GUI that uses Qt and VTK. Essentially, I
have a bunch of rectangular components/spaces and some analytical
functions that I want to visualize. These functions are parameterized in
terms of position along a line (possibly skewed relative to the
rectangular components) and radial distance from that line (so they're
symmetrical around the axis of the line). I want to visualize these
functions along with the rectangular objects.

I can see how I might go about creating a mesh that nicely fits with the
rectangular components and then just map from my analytical functions
into this rectilinear space and view it that way. However, I'd like to
be able to show the cylindrical nature of the functions and was hoping I
could define my meshes in coordinates aligned with the line and with
annular shaped cells.

I hope this better explains the situation although it's a bit hard using
only words! I'm a bit new to VTK and data-visualisation in general so
forgive me if I've got the wrong idea about how I should be approaching
these kinds of tasks.

Thanks again for the help.

Dave

* Please consider the environment before printing this email.