[vtkusers] VTK compile error: gcc 3.32, Solaris 10

Stephen Hamer sthamer at vt.edu
Mon Nov 3 12:18:06 EST 2008

That fixed the problem. Thank you very much. However, I have run across
another problem compiling a different library. Make stopped at 93% :(

The problem is stemming from "TestInstantiator," just after TestCxxFeatures
builds:

Linking CXX executable ../../../bin/TestInstantiator
recv
/export/home/sthamer/built_packages/VTK-build/bin/libvtkCommon.a(vtkSocket.o
)
send
/export/home/sthamer/built_packages/VTK-build/bin/libvtkCommon.a(vtkSocket.o
)
__xnet_connect
/export/home/sthamer/built_packages/VTK-build/bin/libvtkCommon.a(vtkSocket.o
)
__xnet_socket
/export/home/sthamer/built_packages/VTK-build/bin/libvtkCommon.a(vtkSocket.o
)
getsockname
/export/home/sthamer/built_packages/VTK-build/bin/libvtkCommon.a(vtkSocket.o
)
accept
/export/home/sthamer/built_packages/VTK-build/bin/libvtkCommon.a(vtkSocket.o
)
listen
/export/home/sthamer/built_packages/VTK-build/bin/libvtkCommon.a(vtkSocket.o
)
gethostbyaddr
/export/home/sthamer/built_packages/VTK-build/bin/libvtkCommon.a(vtkSocket.o
)
gethostbyname
/export/home/sthamer/built_packages/VTK-build/bin/libvtkCommon.a(vtkSocket.o
)
setsockopt
/export/home/sthamer/built_packages/VTK-build/bin/libvtkCommon.a(vtkSocket.o
)
inet_addr
/export/home/sthamer/built_packages/VTK-build/bin/libvtkCommon.a(vtkSocket.o
)
__xnet_bind
/export/home/sthamer/built_packages/VTK-build/bin/libvtkCommon.a(vtkSocket.o
)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to
../../../bin/TestInstantiator
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [bin/TestInstantiator] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Common/Testing/Cxx/CMakeFiles/TestInstantiator.dir/all] Error
2
make: *** [all] Error 2

The vtkCommon target DID build correctly, and vtkSocket.o built and linked
into the library. You have done very much to get me started here, and I
really appreciate the time you've taken to help me. Hopefully this one last
problem will be something simple that I just am not realizing. I've searched
around on the mail list again trying to find something to help me out here,
but I have not found anything.

I had make continue (make -k) and found no other errors. This is the last
problem with my build. It just seems to be a cryptic message.

--Stephen