[vtkusers] vtk installation ends up with a bloated PYTHONPATH

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Thu May 29 16:41:20 EDT 2008

I finally got my vtk working via python. But along the way I kept
having to add different entries to my path. So much so, that now I
have a very bloated PYTHONPATH.

/src/VTK/Wrapping/Python
/usr/local/vtk/lib
/usr/local/vtk/lib/python2.4/site-packages/vtk
/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ASE/Visualization/VTK/
*This one is for my application code that uses vtk*
/src/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtk/tk/

In addition my LD_LIBRARY_PATH has:
/usr/local/vtk/lib

Is there any way to shorten these paths? I had specified
/usr/local/vtk as the root of the installation. Or are all these
seperate entries always essential in your path to have vtk running (I
use the vtk-tk modules too). I suspect I've something redundant in
there.

I must say that installing vtk was one of the most difficult packages
I have come across! Is it always so tricky?!

-Rahul