[vtkusers] installing vtk on RHEL; fails to find Python.h

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Wed May 28 16:04:58 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Amy Squillacote <ahs at cfdrc.com> wrote:

> For the VTK build on my linux box, PYTHON_LIBRARY is set to
> /usr/lib64/python2.3/config/libpython2.3.a. Since you're using Python 2.4,
> I'd expect the library name to be something like libpython2.4.a. (The
> library you were pointing to is a CMake library for wrapping C/C++ code into
> Python, so it is not the correct value for PYTHON_LIBRARY.)

Thanks again Amy. I found the file and now have  a successful install
(almost). After the make I could not make install. (make: *** No rule
to make target `install'.  Stop.)

I had set the variable CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX  to the directory
/usr/local/vtk     in the hope that the binaries etc. would reside
there after the install. Unfortunately that dir remains empty.

I do find that I can run vtk by pointing to ./bin/vtk from my
install-source dir. Can I just copy this file to my desired location.
Or is there a preferred way out. Why is there no install target? I'm
confused!

Thanks for all your help so far!

--
Rahul