[vtkusers] Problem with compiling and linking static libraries

Cally K kalpana0611 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 00:26:57 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I tried searching the mailing list and I found out ways to compile and
link vtk examples ( Cone.cxx ) . I managed to do it when VTK was built
using the shared library option

But I need to run VTK on the cluster, parallel VTK. and I need to
build static libraries as I am not root, I compiled it, but it is the
linking that is giving problem,

this is my command to compile
a) g++ -c -I/home/kalpanak/Installation_Files/VTKProject/VTKbuildprefix/include/vtk-5.0
Cone.cxx -Wno-deprecated

to link
b) g++ -o Cone Cone.o
-I/home/kalpanak/Installation_Files/VTKProject/VTKbuildprefix/include/vtk-5.0
-L/home/kalpanak/Installation_Files/VTKProject/VTKbuildprefix/lib
/home/kalpanak/Installation_Files/VTKProject/VTKbuildprefix/lib/libvtkFiltering.a
/home/kalpanak/Installation_Files/VTKProject/VTKbuildprefix/lib/libvtkCommon.a
L/home/kalpanak/Installation_Files/VTKProject/VTKbuildprefix/lib/libvtkGraphics.a
L/home/kalpanak/Installation_Files/VTKProject/VTKbuildprefix/lib/libvtkIO.a

my lib folder is in
/home/kalpanak/Installation_Files/VTKProject/VTKbuildprefix/lib, and I
can see all the libvtkFiltering. a libvtkCommon.a all

what am I doing wrong, please help...