[vtkusers] Get the orientation of vtkPlaneWidget

Charl Botha c.p.botha at tudelft.nl
Sun May 18 17:31:15 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Stefan Maas
<stefan.maas at fh-gelsenkirchen.de> wrote:
> But I am not sure what I have to do, when I use "planeWidget.GetNormal()".
> How can I convert the information from "GetNormal" to something for
> "actor.SetOrientation()".

I haven't rechecked the source code recently, but as far as I remember
GetOrientation() simply refers to the current orientation w.r.t. the
default initial position.

This means you're going to have to rethink your strategy in any case.
If you have an implant, you're going to have to define some kind of
major axis.  VTK can't guess this information, as it's related to your
implant design.  Once you have this, you could try aligning it to the
plane normal.

Bottom line is that there's no easy way, due to the specific design of
your implant.

Good luck,
Charl

--