[vtkusers] Get the orientation of vtkPlaneWidget

Stefan Maas stefan.maas at fh-gelsenkirchen.de
Sun May 18 15:58:07 EDT 2008

> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Stefan Maas
> <stefan.maas at fh-gelsenkirchen.de> wrote:
> > actor.SetPostion(planeWidget.GetPostion()); //java
> >
> > But for the orientation it doesn't work because there is no method
> called
> > "planeWidget.GetOrientation()".
> >
> > Any Ideas?
>
> What do you define as the orientation of the plane?
>
> You could for example get the plane normal with
> planeWidget.GetNormal() and align that with the relevant axis of your
> implant actor.  With the Get{Origin,Point1,Point2}() you can also get
> to the geometry of the plane itself.
>
> Good luck,
> Charl

Thank you for the quick and useful answer.
What I define as the orientation of the plane is the orientation value of it
as it were an actor (and not a 3dWidget).
Like in the definition of vtkProp3D.GetOrientation():
"Returns the orientation of the Prop3D as s vector of X,Y and Z rotation..."

I had the same idea with "Get{Origin,Point1,Point2}()", but I hoped two find
an easier way.

But I am not sure what I have to do, when I use "planeWidget.GetNormal()".
How can I convert the information from "GetNormal" to something for
"actor.SetOrientation()".