[vtkusers] Slow vtkPolyDataToImageStencil

Marius Erdt marius.erdt at gmx.de
Thu May 15 04:30:04 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm using the vtkPolyDataToImageStencil Filter to convert a polyData
mesh into vtkImageStencilData which I want to use to mask an area in
another volume.
However, the filter takes a large amount of time to run (> 25 minutes on
a Quad 6600 2,4 GHz). The mesh itself is the result of VTK marching
cubes and is not very complex (one konvex object).

Below is the code fragment I took from this list for the conversion.

Thanks for any help,

Marius

        vtkPolyDataNormals * normalsFilter = vtkPolyDataNormals::New();
        normalsFilter->SetInput( polyData );
        normalsFilter->SetFeatureAngle(50);
        normalsFilter->SetConsistency(1);
        normalsFilter->SetSplitting(1);
        normalsFilter->SetFlipNormals(0);
        normalsFilter->Update();

        vtkPolyDataToImageStencil * surfaceConverter =
vtkPolyDataToImageStencil::New();
        surfaceConverter->SetInput( normalsFilter->GetOutput() );
        surfaceConverter->SetTolerance( 0.0 );
        surfaceConverter->Update();