[vtkusers] vtkVoxelModeller / converting "bit" scalar type?

Paul Melis paul at science.uva.nl
Tue May 6 07:59:59 EDT 2008

Hello,
Is there any way to actually use the output of the vtkVoxelModeller? Its
output has scalar type "bit", but there seems to be no way to use this
as I haven't found a filter that can handle the type (not even
vtkImageCast or vtkImageShiftScale). The TCL test included in the docs
for vtkVoxelModeller seems to suggest that writing the filter's output
to a .vtk file and then reading it back in is a work-around, but even
that doesn't work, as the result after reading is still "bit". Is the
only way really to _hand-edit_ the output file so as to change the
scalar type?

If so, is there a filter that can do similar things? In my case convert
outlines (vtkPolyData consisting of lines) to a bi-level structured
points set denoting inside/outside. I looked at vtkImplicitModeller, but
it can't get it to fill the inside of the outlines, while
vtkVoxelModeller does this by itself.

Thanks for any help,
Paul