[vtkusers] vtkScalarsToColorsPainter in vtkDefaultPainter

clinton at elemtech.com clinton at elemtech.com
Fri Mar 28 15:09:17 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm playing with a chain of painters to render multiblock data (with hundreds
of blocks).. and in the documentation for vtkDefaultPainter, I see that is
sets up the chain like this:
vtkScalarsToColorsPainter --> vtkClipPlanesPainter -->
vtkDisplayListPainter --> vtkCompositePainter -->
vtkCoincidentTopologyResolutionPainter --> vtkLightingPainter -->
vtkRepresentationPainter --> <delegate>

If I move the vtkScalarsToColorsPainter to after vtkDisplayListPainter the
rendering, for this case of multiblock data I was trying, was significantly
faster.  It appears the speed is only because of avoiding the overhead of
calling vtkScalarsToColorsPainter.

Is there a reason for that order?  Or am I free to change the order in my
code?

Thanks,
Clint