[vtkusers] Time steps in VTK files

Jefferson Thomas foramuyou at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 04:07:14 EDT 2008

Hi,
Im writing a physical simulation which for every timestep outputs a
dataset of field values in 3-d space. As for now Ive been putting them
simply all as separate datasets into one VTI file with the following
procedure using VTK c++ libraries :

write_connected_vti_image=vtkImageData::New();
for ( looping over timesteps ) {
 vtkFloatArray* array;
 ...(writing the data into the array)
 write_connected_vti_image->GetPointData()->AddArray(array);
}
vtkXMLImageDataWriter *writer = vtkXMLImageDataWriter::New();
writer->SetFileName(filename_c);
writer->SetInput(write_connected_vti_image);
writer->Write();

But on the webpage http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/VTK/Time_Support  I have
read that there is some specific support for timesteps in VTK.
Unfortunately the webpage doesnt explain how to do it. I wasnt also
able to find any good explaination of Timesteps in VTK on the
Internet.
I would like to use timesteps for my data.
What should I do ? What is the procedure to tell the VTK that my
datasets represent timestep and how to specify the timestep value for
every dataset ? Is there any manual for it ?

Thank you for any help,