[vtkusers] VTK, Python, MacOS X, Cocoa, Offscreen rendering?

Bridgman, William T. William.T.Bridgman at nasa.gov
Thu Mar 13 08:21:59 EDT 2008

Hello,

I've found some posts from June 2004 ("Mac offscreen drawing")
suggesting that VTK should be able to do offscreen rendering through
the Cocoa interface, but that this was not yet implemented.  Has this
changed?

I looked at vtkXOpenGLOffScreenRenderWindow but this seems to require
that I get *everything* else running under X: Tcl/Tk and python, a
process that has not gone well.

I'm trying to batch export RIB files on an XGrid cluster (Hundreds of
files that take 5-15 minutes to process).

I've got vtkPython running with Cocoa but haven't found the sequence
of commands that completely disables the window generation.  My
simple-minded first guesses of

             renWin=vtk.vtkCocoaRenderWindow()
             renWin.OffScreenRenderingOn()

before installing actors, die with:

kCGErrorRangeCheck : Window Server communications from outside of
session allowed for root and console user only
INIT_Processeses(), could not establish the default connection to the
WindowServer.Abort

when run on the headless machines.  It runs fine without off-screen
rendering on a console, though I believe some window briefly
appears.  I suspect I'm missing something in the initialization
sequence but am not that familiar with Cocoa.

Platform: MacOS X 10.4.11, G5 PPC.  VTK 5.1+ (from CVS)

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

**** Please Update my e-mail address to my *NEW* OneNASA address
below ****
--
Dr. William T."Tom" Bridgman               Scientific Visualization
Studio