[vtkusers] volume rendering in vtk

Adrian Albert a.albert at jacobs-university.de
Tue Mar 11 13:11:10 EDT 2008

Dear VTK community,

I am new to VTK, and of course eager to explore and discover its
amazing capabilities. It seems that no one I asked knows enough about
VTK to answer the few questions I have.

I am a complete newbie to VTK, but I know C++, and am familiar with
visualization and computer graphics. I am working on a project where I
have to render a large amount of data (about 200GB) of a time
simulation of a couple of scalar and vectorial fields (velocity
profile, temperature, pressure, stuff like that). I would like to use
volume rendering and a multidimensional transfer function to assign
values in a multi-dimensional data space (so my color and opacity
would depend on vorticity magnitude, temperature, and pressure, for
example).

My questions are:

1) how can I tell VTK to use such a multi-dimensional transfer
function with volume rendering? (does VTK support this at all?)

2) does VTK 5.x (the CVS build) support hardware-accelerated DVR? if
so, what kind of graphics card would I need as a minimum?

3) is there an example in C++ for the volume rendering example in VTK?
it appears that for this example only a Tcl version is on CVS.

Thanks for your help!

Eternally grateful,
Adrian
Adrian Albert