[vtkusers] Problem with vtkUnstructuredGridWriter

Bryn Lloyd blloyd at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 25 08:15:49 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have a strange problem in my program. The program runs a simulation
and writes each iteration to scratch. After a certain number of
iterations I start getting this message:

ERROR: In /home/blloyd/Kitware/VTK/VTK/IO/vtkDataWriter.cxx, line 198
vtkUnstructuredGridWriter (0x8479560): Unable to open file: out-00063.vtk

The simulation continues (for another 140 iterations) and seems to be
OK. I tried to detect the error, but it does not work. This is how I tried:

char buf[20];
sprintf(buf, "-%05d", iter+1);
writer->SetFileName((outfilename+buf+".vtk").c_str());
writer->SetInput(mesh);
int success = writer->Write();
if(!success)  {
	writer->Print(cout);
	mesh->Print(cout);
	exit(0);
}

So in other words, even though I get the error message, the
vtkUnstructuredGridWriter returns success==1, which is not what the
documentation promises:
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkWriter.html#667faa8d0c5e6948d456ec68976bc25b

Another strange thing is, that when I resume the simulation from the
last saved state, it continues without any problems and writes the data
until the problem re-appears much later.

I am running Debian Linux.

Thanks for your help,
Bryn

Bryn Lloyd