[vtkusers] get the contour of 3D object in a specified pose?

Kolonet fert5 at arcor.de
Tue Jun 24 08:03:33 EDT 2008

Dear all,
Id like to know if someone has any idea to speed up my programme. :-)
what I am doing is to read a vtkActor from an stl file, then set its
position and render it to finally get its contour in an image.

some piece of code:

	VTKDisplay* vtkDisplay;
	VTKPolyObject* vtkPolyObj;

	vtkPolyObj->LoadSTLData(filename);
	vtkDisplay->ActorAdd(vtkPolyObj->Actor());

	vtkpPolyObj->SetActorMatrix(predifinedVTKMatrix);

	vtkDisplay->GetImage(vtkImage);															// doing grayscale
conversion,
		// canny-filtering and contour
		//detection to find the desired contour points

Now my questions:
Would it be helpful (faster) to read the data to render in any other format
than .stl ?
Is there a better way to get the contour of an object in its current
position ?
- I know that my way doing this is quite laborious, but I could not find any
dirct way to get the contours

Thaks a lot!