[vtkusers] Level of Detail LOD based on space not rendering time

gbiv gbivins4 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 12:22:16 EDT 2008

I was thinking callbacks based on your mouse.

Basically you could set your callbacks up like this:
/**
 *mouse click
**/
onStartInteraction
{
   //Always set the interactive lod when mouse clicks so
   //navigating around is interactive
    setInteractiveLod( interactiveLOD )
}
/**
 *mouse release
**/
onEndInteraction
{
   //Check distance between activeCamera.getPosition() and  lod.GetCenter()
   distance = checkDistanceBetweenLODAndCamera()

   if (distance <= highLODDist )
   {
      //Set High LOD if distance is within tolorance
      lod.SetSelectedLODID( highLODID )
      return;
   }
   elseif( distance <= medLODDist )
   {
      //Set medium LOD as the interactive LOD if distance is within
tolerance
      interactiveLOD = setMedLODID;
   }
   elseif( distance <= medLODDist )
   {
      //Set lower LOD as the interactive LOD if distance is within tolerance
      interactiveLOD = setLowLODID;
   }

   lod.SetSelectedLODID( interactiveLOD );
}

This would always show a low or medium LOD (specified by interactiveLOD)
while navigating and then when navigation stopped, it would calculate the
distance and choose the appropriate lod to display. That way distance is
only calculated when the mouse is released...
Something like that but I haven't tried it...
;)

biv