[vtkusers] VTK + ITK + DICOM + CT Slices wrong orientation.

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 18:25:41 EDT 2008

I am developing an application to view and process Lung CT slices. I
am using the LiverTumorSegmentation example to help with my
development of my application that will use Qt instead of FLTK. When I
load my DICOM cases in either LiverTumorSegmentation  or my app the
Axial view needs to be flipped top to bottom and left to right and it
appears the other 2 views need similar filps. I have done a some
research on this however I am not sure the information I am reading is
correct (older versions) or not so I want to ask here. Does the dicom
series reader in itk read and process the orientation information that
is stored in the DICOM headers? Will this always need to be flipped
for vtk to view it correctly? I ask the second question because in the
3dslicer documentation they mention that "ITK internally does not do
the same flipping of the data during read that VTK does. As result, if
image data is passed from ITK to VTK for rendering, the pictures will
appear upside down unless flipped."

My software versions are itk-3.6.0, vtk-5.0.4 and Qt 4.3.4.

--
John M. Drescher