[vtkusers] [Insight-users] LSM Reader in ITK / VTK - bio-formats

Dan White white at mpi-cbg.de
Thu Jul 31 11:13:19 EDT 2008

Hi Gaetan,

>> Perhaps using bio-formats to read image data directly into
>> VTK Image / ITK Image objects is a better idea,
>> (see the new wrapITK code for wrapping bio-formats).
>
> This code simply extract a 3D image from file using bioformat, and
> write it to the disk in tiff format. It only takes the memory of a
> single image, but it does take disk space — for ex., I'm frequently
> working with images of 140 MB per channel these days — and of course
> it takes time.
> The next step is to copy everything in memory, with a pipe for
> example, and in C++.

sounds like a good plan, hopefully that makes more sense to Kalle and
Lassi than iot does to me...

>> Another tricky part is what to do with the meta data....
>
> sure. BTW, the unstable wrapitk has a way better support for ITK's
> metadata dictionaries :-)

cool!

>> I support the earlier suggestion of a VTK / ITK
>> microscopy meta data framework,
>> that parallels the structure of the OME XML meta data definitions.
>
> What would be the required attributes? Can't it fit in itk's
> metadata dictionaries?
> I didn't looked much at OME XML. Is it able to store all the
> metadata from all those file format we can find all around?

maybe its possible to plan how to mirror the OME  XML meta data schema
in ITK dictionaries?
would that be sensible?
Take a look at OME XML schema for microscopy meta data... it contains
much useful stuff already,
and is being added to and refined over time...

There must be hundreds of different possible meta data fields... since
there are so many things a microscope can have,
never mind all the different kinds of microscope.... electron,
widefield light, laser scanning confocal, spinning disk confocal, 2
photon, STED, STORM, PLAM, SPIM, structured illumination widefield..
its a long list already. They all have some meta data in common (pixel
size for instance) and also unique meta data.

Dan

dan at chalkie.org.uk
( white at mpi-cbg.de )