[vtkusers] LSM Reader in ITK / VTK - bio-formats

Dan White white at mpi-cbg.de
Thu Jul 31 09:35:50 EDT 2008

Hi Richard,

Yes, you are right there I think.
In any case the OME-TIFF and OME-XML file format definitions are
totally open, so implementation of reading the image data part would
be easy.

Using bio-formats to convert some proprietary file format
to OME-TIFF would work, then yes that could be read by ITK/VTK tiff
readers...
but that would involve doubling the memory usage, or even rewriting
the file.

Bear in mind that I commonly see multi gigabyte datasets from
microscopes these days,
and our softwares built on VTK/ITK need to handle that fluidly.

Perhaps using bio-formats to read image data directly into
VTK Image / ITK Image objects is a better idea,
(see the new wrapITK code for wrapping bio-formats).

Another tricky part is what to do with the meta data....

I support the earlier suggestion of a VTK / ITK
microscopy meta data framework,
that parallels the structure of the OME XML meta data definitions.

cheers

Dan

dan at chalkie.org.uk
( white at mpi-cbg.de )