[vtkusers] Working with polygonal meshes

Christiaan Putter ceputter at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 26 18:48:10 EDT 2008

Hi vtk users,

I've been going through the documentation but can't seem to figure out
if I can use vtk for my purposes. I'm mostly working from python using
mayavi.

I've got several closed 3d polygonal meshes.

What I'd like to do:

1. Simple boolean operations.  Union, intersection.

2. Test whether some 3d point is inside the mesh or not.

3. Calculate the volume of the mesh.

4. Integrate a function over the interior of the mesh. (Though 2 will
allow me to do this in any case.)

Is vtk suitable for this?  If not, can someone recommend another
appropriate library that will help me? It seems I might be able to use
vtk implicit functions somehow, but not so sure.

Have a great day,
Chris