[vtkusers] Problems changing camera location with ParallelProjectionOn()

Vidyadhar vidyadhar at lucidindia.com
Wed Jul 16 00:07:09 EDT 2008

Hi,
In parallel projection mode, camera position does not affect transformation
from world to view. It only determines view direction. Their is no angular
extents also (because all projecting lines are parallel). So changing
angular extents or dollying camera does not affect the transformation. Zoom
is essentially adjusting size of the rectangle over which projection takes
place and parallel scale determines zoom level. So position and focal point
are used only to determine projection direction and changing zoom level does
not affect camera position. From my experience, when camera position, focal
point and viewup are set and ResetCamera is called on renderer, camera
position does change based on the scene bounds so that near and far clipping
planes will be proper.
I am not an expert on these transformations so I hope somebody else may
correct me if any or all of above is wrong.
HTH
Vidyadhar