[vtkusers] Slow Volume Update-

Dean Inglis dean.inglis at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 2 19:26:08 EDT 2008

Ryan,

If memory is not an issue (ie you have enough RAM) try allocating

an actor/volumemapper for each data set and toggle between them with

lastActor->VisibilityOff();

currentActor->VisbilityOn() ;

Dean

Hi-
Our group has an application in which we are reading in a series of
volumetric medical images in DICOM format.  We are displaying orthogonal
slices and we wish to update the slices in a rapid manner.  In the current
implementation, the data for each of the 3D images is read into RAM.  Even
so, when we update it takes quite a long time for the display to change when
switching between the various 3D datasets.

I am curious where the bottleneck in the system is.  Does the video card in
the machine need more onboard memory?  In the final implementation, we would
like to have 3-4 large CT datasets stored in memory and switch between the
two at a few times per second.  Any ideas on what we need to change in order
to do so? Thanks in advance-
-Ryan