[vtkusers] CMake Error: VTKConfig.cmake not found

Alok Whig alokwhig at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 01:26:34 EST 2008

Hello Dear members, I am a newbie to VTK and CMake. As the subject states,
my problems deals with the CMake error indicating about the non availability
of VTKConfig.cmake file.

Precisely, I am doing following:
1. Installed VTK and Cmake in separate directories.
2. Followed instructions as given on www.vtk.org.
3. I am trying to run examples.Source files being Cxx. (Note ,I am able to
run tcl script files directly with VTK)
4. When I choose source and build directories, and press Configure then
following message appears:
"*Cmake Error: VTK not found.Set VTK_DIR cmake cache entry to the directory
containing VTKConfig.cmake.This is either the root of the build tree or
PREFIX.lib/vtk for an installation"

*I have searched all directories of the installation but no success. All I
can see files that have similar names viz:
vtkGenerateVTKConfig.cmake
vtkConfigure.h.in
VTKConfig.cmake.in

5. As a hit and trial , I removed extension "in" from the last file( as
above) to make it VKConfig.cmake but no success.
6. I was able to run Hello World example with CMake.
7. Kindly guide me.
(PS: since the archive is huge, I have not searched every post) If this post
is new please answer else give the reference ( link) of archived mail if
already asked before.
Thank you.