[vtkusers] Re: [vtk-developers] VTK 5.2 Release Planning

Sean Ziegeler seanzig at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 29 15:15:14 EST 2008

My experience in general is that a patch release shouldn't break any
external interfaces (API's, client/server protocols, etc.).  But AFAIK,
VTK uses a major.minor.patch version number scheme, so the change in
minor version number is somewhat accurate.  The usual question is, is it
enough of a change to warrant a major version number increment.

Normally, I wouldn't have much of an opinion on that for VTK, but David
Cole raises an important point about the book.  I guess I'm wondering,
on behalf of my users, how much does the 5.2 release break the
documented classes, methods, and examples in the VTK 5 book?  If the VTK
5 book can't reliably be used for a 5.x release, some people would find
it frustrating, whereas if the new release were 6.x then they might be
prepared for some incompatibility.

-Sean