[vtkusers] Volume data from application memory

Wesley Smith wesley.hoke at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 21:17:36 EST 2008

Hi,
I'm just starting out using VTK and have been trying to figure out how
to pass in volume data held in application memory (but not in any VTK
class) into the VTK rendering system.  From what I've seen, all of the
examples use "Readers" which only look for data from file.  Is there
no such class that I can pass say a pointer along with the memory
layout to?  To make things more concrete, I'm using a library to load
VASP files.  From these, I get a buffer of data about 85x54x44 of
scalar values.  What's the best methodology for getting this data into
VTK?  Perusing the web, I've only seen examples that require
subclassing a vtkReader of some sort.  Is this the only way?
(http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/drm/ExampleVolRender.cxx)

thanks,
wes