[vtkusers] HDF5 with VTK

Michael Rice marice at knology.net
Tue Jan 22 19:36:02 EST 2008

Emmanuel -

I've read the responses you've received so far, but I still have 2
questions:

1. Is your CFD data already in HDF5 format?

2. What part of HDF5 is only available on UNIX? I've used HDF5,
including several of the HDF5 utilities, on many platforms, including
Windows.

There is a HDF5 Mesh format and API. This is really just a formal
specification for how to organize an HDF5 file to store a meshed
geometry (structured or unstructured) and associated data (such as
your flow field data).

If your data is not already in HDF5 format, I would suggest that you
simply write a small program to convert your CFD data directly into a
VTK native format; I think the VTK docs explain the .vtk file format.

If your data is already in HDF5 format, you might be able to use the
H5dump utility (this is a stand alone application) to dump your data
into an ASCII file format and then write a separate utility to convert
this ASCII file into a .vtk file.

Michael