[vtkusers] Show edges with picker

nmitreski nimitreski at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 09:04:14 EST 2008

Finally some kind of solution. I' m getting edges from one cell (triangle).
Here is solution

#include "vtkPolyData.h"
#include "vtkConeSource.h"
#include "vtkPolyDataMapper.h"
#include "vtkCellArray.h"
#include "vtkActor.h"
#include "vtkRenderer.h"
#include "vtkRenderWindow.h"
#include "vtkRenderWindowInteractor.h"
#include "vtkProperty.h"
#include "vtkPoints.h"

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
	vtkConeSource *cone = vtkConeSource::New();
	cone->SetRadius(1.0);
	cone->SetHeight(3.0);
	cone->SetResolution(8);
	cone->CappingOff();

	vtkPolyData *mesh = vtkPolyData::New();
	mesh = cone->GetOutput();
	mesh->Update(); //important part
	mesh->BuildLinks();

	vtkPolyData *contour = vtkPolyData::New();
	contour->SetPoints(mesh->GetPoints());

	vtkPoints *points = vtkPoints::New();
	points = mesh->GetPoints();
	vtkIdType num_pts = points->GetNumberOfPoints();
	cout<<"Number of Points = "<<num_pts<<endl;

	vtkCellArray *lines = vtkCellArray::New();

	vtkIdType npts, *pts;
	mesh->GetCellPoints(4, npts, pts);
	cout<<"npts = "<<npts<<endl;
	cout<<"pts[0] = "<<pts[0]<<endl;
	cout<<"pts[1] = "<<pts[1]<<endl;
	cout<<"pts[2] = "<<pts[2]<<endl;

	vtkIdType ids[2];
	ids[0] = pts[0]; ids[1] = pts[1];
	lines->InsertNextCell(2, ids);

	ids[0] = pts[1]; ids[1] = pts[2];
	lines->InsertNextCell(2, ids);

	ids[0] = pts[2]; ids[1] = pts[0];
	lines->InsertNextCell(2, ids);

	contour->SetLines(lines);

	vtkPolyDataMapper *coneMapper = vtkPolyDataMapper::New();
	coneMapper->SetInput(cone->GetOutput());

	vtkPolyDataMapper *contourMapper = vtkPolyDataMapper::New();
	contourMapper->SetInput(contour);

	vtkActor *coneActor = vtkActor::New();
	coneActor->SetMapper(coneMapper);

	vtkActor *contourActor = vtkActor::New();
	contourActor->SetMapper(contourMapper);
	contourActor->GetProperty()->SetColor(1, 0, 0);

	vtkRenderer *ren = vtkRenderer::New();
	vtkRenderWindow *win = vtkRenderWindow::New();
	win->AddRenderer(ren);
	vtkRenderWindowInteractor *iren = vtkRenderWindowInteractor::New();
	iren->SetRenderWindow(win);
	ren->AddActor(coneActor);
	ren->AddActor(contourActor);
	ren->SetBackground(0.1, 0.2, 0.4);

	iren->Initialize();
	win->Render();
	iren->Start();

	//deleting styff
	cone->Delete();
	coneMapper->Delete();
	coneActor->Delete();

	//new polydata
	contour->Delete();
	lines->Delete();
	contourMapper->Delete();
	contourActor->Delete();

	ren->Delete();
	win->Delete();
	iren->Delete();

	return 0;
}

nmitreski wrote:

> Thanks for advice. You give me some direction for solving problem. It has
> some little problem in line
>
> vtkIdType ids[2];
> ids[0] = pts[0]; ids[1] = pts[1];
>
> when debugging the code, I receive error message in this line, maybe
> previous command
>
>  mesh->GetCellPoints( cell_id, npts, pts );
>
> did not give wanted values for npts and pts.
>
> Bob-139 wrote:
>>
>> 2008/1/16, nmitreski <nimitreski at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>> I have some problem. I'm trying to display edges of picked cell using
>>> cell
>>> picker. I'm trying that on cone (vtkConeSource), and I just like to