[vtkusers] Re: Rendering slowed down after recent CVS update

Paul Melis paul at science.uva.nl
Fri Jan 18 09:22:37 EST 2008

Paul Melis wrote:

>Sean McBride wrote:
>
>>/On 1/16/08 4:24 PM, Paul Melis said:
>/>/
>/>>/And another reply to myself...
>/>>/After going back to a CVS version of VTK of October 1st the problem
>/>>/seems to be gone. So something changed in VTK between october and today
>/>>/that influences the render performance, probably due to a software
>/>>/fallback suddenly being used in the NVidia driver.
>/>>/
>/>>/
>/>/
>/>/Next try Nov 1, Dec 1, etc. until you have it narrowed down to between 2
>/>/days... tedious, but easy.  You'll probably find the problem this way.
>/>/
>/>/
>/Well, I made a little script that did all the hard work of checking out
>a CVS version for specific date, configuring it with cmake, building it,
>setting appropriate environment variables and then running a little test
>application. The results indicate that the problems start with commits
>done on October 27. I suspect the changes relating to alpha handing (for
>bug 2347) in vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx and friends, although I don't see
>anything suspicious in the code. Most of the changes seem related to
>depth peeling and using different blending, but I'm not enabling depth
>peeling and are also not using any transparent geometry.

Okay, further testing shows it is indeed related to using a different
blending function. If I take the faulty revision and only comment out
the calls to glBlendFuncSeparate in vtkOpenGLRenderer.cxx and
vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx the problem goes away, i.e. performance is
restored. So it looks like a software fallback is used as side-effect of
this call. Yuck. The card (actually driver) says it's OpenGL 1.5
capable, and glBlendFuncSeparate was introduced in 1.4. But it doesn't
seem to be hw-accelerated...

I guess there's not much of a work-around for this, except a card
upgrade :-/

Paul