[vtkusers] coincident points in grid

Martin Baumann mailsgetlost at web.de
Thu Jan 17 15:21:06 EST 2008

Hi,

I have a question concerning the usage of points in cells. I build two
unstructured
grids that should represent the same scene, but two different strategies:

(1) Each point id is used in one cell only. So for a point in space that
is vertex
for more than one cell must exist more than one representations of that
point
(=> several point ids for the same point in space).

(2) Each point in space that is used as a vertex is represented by one
unique
point id.

Making sure that in case (1) the point data is the same for all points
that are
placed at the same point in space , the visualization of (1) and (2) seem to
be the same. Of cause in case (1) more data has to be stored.

Does the use of more than one point id for one point in space affect the
visualization in any sense? Should case (1) be avoided for some reason?

Best regards,
M.B.