[vtkusers] Error with Ensight to Exodus file conversion

Raashid Baig raashid.b at rediffmail.com
Thu Jan 17 02:42:41 EST 2008

I have a very large Multi-block EnSight files (16 million cells, more than 2GB disk space) which I want to visualize using ParaView on a Linux cluster. Since paraview does not have a Parallel EnSight reader, it fails to read and load the file even while running on a parallel mode. So I have decided to write a small vtk script which will read the EnSight file and write it into an Exodus file. Here is the script for that

import vtk

reader = vtk.vtkEnSightGoldReader()
reader.SetCaseFileName("ensight.case")
reader.Update()

writer = vtk.vtkExodusIIWriter()
writer.SetInputConnection(reader.GetOutputPort())
writer.SetFileName("exodus.ex2")
writer.Write()

When I run the program I get the following error :

raashid at ICC-PUNE-DSK-20:~/EnSight$ python ensight_exodus_old.py
ERROR: In /build/buildd/vtk-5.0.3/Filtering/vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline.cxx, line 557
vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline (0x81bf808): No maximum number of pieces has been set in the information for output port 0 on algorithm vtkEnSightGoldReader(0x82d6810).

ERROR: In /build/buildd/vtk-5.0.3/Filtering/vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline.cxx, line 557
vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline (0x81bf808): No maximum number of pieces has been set in the information for output port 0 on algorithm vtkEnSightGoldReader(0x82d6810).

Even though an exodus file is generated but the resulting geometry is incomplete. Please suggest me how to eliminate this error and convert the EnSight file properly.