[vtkusers] Re: Rendering slowed down after recent CVS update

Paul Melis paul at science.uva.nl
Wed Jan 16 08:09:32 EST 2008

Just to follow up on my own posting about a sudden drop in rendering
performance after a recent VTK CVS update, here's some more lessons learned:
- Updating to the newest NVidia driver for my graphics card (a Quadro4
900 XGL) does not solve the problem
- Copying the compiled VTK libraries/headers/etc exhibiting the problem
to a different system having a different (newer) graphics card does not
exhibit the problem on that other system
- Replacing my current graphics card with a newer and better performing
card (a Quadro FX4000) into my own system without changing any part of
my VTK installation makes the problem go away

This last point seems to suggest that there is perhaps some interaction
between VTK and my current graphics card that triggers the NVidia driver
to perform some operations in software, perhaps emulating OpenGL 2.0
functionality that isn't available in hardware. As I haven't had any
problems in the past are there any recent changes (say last six months)
in VTK that require "exotic" OpenGL extensions/functionality even for
the simplest of 3D scenes?

Again, any help is greatly appreciated,

Regards,
Paul